Thursday, March 20, 2008

College kids know nothing about St. Patrick's Day

Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th. The St. Patrick's Day parade in Southie takes place on the sunday around that time, though not necesarily on that date. Well many people, myself included, dressed in green the whole weekend. One problem with that though... I was one of the few dressed in green ON St. Patrick's day. Kids kept giving me strange looks on that monday. They inquired if I knew that it was over already. I would then have to explain their own ignorance to them about how St. Patrick's day is the 17th, but they wouldn't listen. "Why would they hold the parade on sunday if the holiday was monday?" they would ask. I didn't even bother trying to explain at that point. I simply shrugged, walked away, and kept happy with the knowledge that at least I myself know a little bit about my own heritage even if the rest of the world uses it as an excuse to be loud, drunk and annoying for a weekend...


I hate stupid people...

Of course, the worst is, this year, St. Patrick's was moved to the 14th this year by the Roman Catholic Church so it wouldn't fall during Holy Week, but apparently none of us got the memo.

1 comment:

On A Windy Night said...

But you did get free candy from the [WBZ?] truck for being green on the 17th!