Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Sergeant Roger Murtaugh

So, the other night, October 29th, Danny Glover came to Northeastern to speak. It was an event hosted by the Haitian Student Union. For those of you living sheltered lives that didn't get the title reference, Danny Glover played Sergeant (and later Captain) Roger Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon movies. Well thats not why he was here. He was here to talk about some of the issues in the world and how they need to be dealt with.

In truth, the only reason I went was because my R.A. asked me to, and seeing how I aspire to be an R.A. myself, I figured doing anything to get on the R.A.'s good side is smart.

Well we get to Blackman Auditorium and find out that not only is it free but we get a free Haitian Student Unity T-shirt. I was pumped cuz i love free stuff and cuz i can now claim to be an honorary member of the Haitian Student Union (which isn't true but I can pretend).

The presentation started with a short video presentation of the movies Danny has been in and then he and some professor (I don't know who) were introduced. It was formatted in a way that the professor would ask a question and Danny would go off on the topic, although he as often as not went off on wild tangents that I didn't follow. I don't actually know if what he had to say was good or not. Alot of the discussion focused on the socio-economic problems faced in Africa, Latin-America, and the Caribbean.... At least, I think thats what he was talking about...

Well, after that there was an open question period. No one seemed sure if they should say anything, but I was prepared with two questions. My R.A. and the two other kids we went with were terrified when I got up cuz earlier as we were coming over, we joked that someone should ask him if Mel Gibson (his Lethal Weapon co-star) hates blacks as much as he hates Jews. We weren't serious of course, but it was a funny idea. Well, I didn't ask him that. I asked him what his favorite scene from filming the Lethal Weapon movies was. He said it was the toilet scene (for those who haven't seen the movies, in Lethal Weapon 2, theres a scene where Glover is sitting on his toilet and then finds out the bad guys put a bomb in it and if he gets up it'll blow up). This also happens to be my favorite scene from the movies as well.

I then asked which presidential nominee he thought could best deal with the issues he discussed. Well, he wouldn't answer that. Oh well.

When I sat back down, one of the kids I went with Darren, said to me, "Dude, you just talked to Danny Glover about Lethal Weapon and his favorite scene is your favorite scene. That was so cool." Well let me tell you, yes it was.

We left shortly after that cuz people were asking questions about you know, real world issues, but we just didn't understand any of it.

But man, it was so cool, cuz I got to talk to Danny Glover about Lethal Weapon...

No comments: